My comeback plan - Protective Styling for the Win

My last protective style was awesome, I tried sooo many hairstyles with my crochet braids, and enjoyed the experience.

But then the day arrived when I had to take them out. And that is when I realised that I lost some hair with it. I had a lot of breakage and dry hair, and had to trim off about 1.5 inches off. This is more than the amount that would have grown over the 2 months (approximately 1 inch) that I had the style on.


Disappointed, demotivated, all the sad words you can think of, describe how I felt. I have been trying to keep my hair manipulation to the lowest amount possible, but this backfired on me this time.

I am not giving up, no! Two weeks ago, I tried a new protective style: Mambo Braids. I got a different stylist to do my hair, who is just awesome. Check her IG Page out HairbyMakanye. Her cornrows were very neat, and she tucked in the cornrows nicely so that none of my hair would be left to dry out.


This is what I have been doing to ensure that I get the most out of this protective styling session:

1.) Moisturize my hair every other day
2.) Two times a week I use my DIY Moisturizer made of conditioner+olive oil+water to give my hair an extra moisture boost
3.) Steam my hair once a week: I do not want to shampoo my hair this time round, just in case some shampoo doesn't wash out and has worse consequences than if I just left my hair like that
4.) Oil my scalp and my cornrows twice a week. I know where the ends of the cornrows are, so I have been targeting those areas to ensure that they are properly moisturized and sealed.
5.) Keep the protective style for a maximum of 4 weeks: I have learnt that my hair loves deep conditioning, and a long period like 6 weeks without a proper deep conditioning session just leaves my hair dry.

I will also be leaving my hair out in between protective styles for at least two weeks, so that my hair can get some pampering from my normal weekly wash day sessions.

Hopefully, I will reap the benefits of protective styling this time round :-)

19 comments

  1. It looks like you have a solid plan, Becca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uzo, hopefully it goes well this time round.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your setback. But your plan for going forward is solid. (And I like your mambo braids!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I really want to see progress this time round :-)

      Delete
  3. Its a simple plan, which looks like its a winner. I have seen some youtubbers using wipes to clean their scalp whilst is in a PS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lebo :-) Yes , I have seen that, but I was a bit worried of the chemicals in the wet wipes, not sure if they are hair friendly. I also use dry shampoo every now and then, has worked well before.

      Delete
  4. I love your braids. A setback for a great come back. Looking forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! and so true, it has helped me to be more focused, and to learn from the mistakes.

      Delete
  5. I love your mambo braids Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving those mambo braids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They say that the setback is just a set up for the comeback! I love this plan---especially the steaming. That should really help your roots get the moisture that it needs.

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know the true meaning of that statement! Yep, the steamer has been awesome for keeping my hair moisturized. Thanks for stopping by KLP!

      Delete
  8. *new follower* Your hair looks great and your regimen to keep it healthy while protective styling looks like your hair can't help but be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks for the follow :-) Thanks, and so true, it is very easy to stop taking care of your hair when its in a protective style as you can't see it...

      Delete
  9. You have a good plan , just stick with it. Looking forward to your positive outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am hoping so too, I will know once I take it off...

      Delete

Back to Top