Trouble managing your product stash? Try these few tips

I made one of the biggest mistakes in the first few months of my healthy hair journey. We all get excited when we embark on this new journey, but sometimes we get too excited. Within 6 months, my products could no longer be contained in the one shelf that I used to keep open for hair products. They overflowed to a second, third and fourth shelf. 




In November last year, I did a stock take of all my products, and was so shocked that I had so many products that were meant to do the same thing.

One of my resolutions for this year has been to minimise my stash, keeping only the products that have been of the most help to my hair. This is what I have found most useful as I try to contain my product arsenal...

(1.) Go to the cosmetic shop once a month: This helps keep focus, and I end up preparing a list of the things that I NEED, because I won't be able to go back until the next month.

(2.) Go to the cosmetic shop with close to the exact amount of money you need for your shopping list

(3.) Do not try to fix what is not broken... If a product is working for you, and you read a really great review of a similar product, hang on to your product until you finish it. Then you can try the next one. 

(4.) Have a limit to your storage space and stick to it: This way, you will know when you are reaching the limit, and when you need to hold a product buying "freeze"

(5.) Give products that don't work away: Your hair and the receiver will thank you for it

(6.) Recycle products: Conditioners that did not work can be used for co-washes and pre-poos, Moisturizers can be used as leave-ins, oils can be mixed with your deep conditioners, etc etc. KLP of savingourstrands has a whole list of what else you can do with your products.

(7.) If you've not used it in the last 6-12 months, you are unlikely to ever use it again: How many can relate to this? Even with my other stuff in the house, I use this rule and it helps me clean out my cupboard every now and then.



What has helped you the most in managing your product stash?

6 comments

  1. If I can get the PJ out of me I would rejoice. Thanks for the tips I will take the exact amount of money next time I go product shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips Becca, especially #7, I sometimes keep things for the longest time in the hopes that I might use them, and it never happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, letting go is really hard especially after spending money on a product, but it's inevitable

      Delete
  3. Great Tips, Thank you Becca :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top