Hair Update & Dry Scalp Remedies


I am currently 7 weeks post-relaxer... I have been in my crochet braids for the last 4 weeks and I have absolutely enjoyed having this style on. I have experimented with it and quite a number of styles have worked really well!

The latest style I have tried is a simple blow-out. I simply made use of my denman brush to brush the curls out, and this was the result...




Since starting this healthy hair journey, I have learnt the importance of taking care of my hair even while it is in a protective style. This is what I usually do to my hair:

1.) Moisturize: I have been using this moisture spritz that I recently bought from the cosmetic store. I am loving it so far, but because of the dry season, I can feel that my hair is a bit dryer than I would like. I sometimes spray my hair with a watered down conditioner mix for an additional moisture effect.



2.) Scalp massage: I do this at least three times a week. When my scalp is dry, a little bit of castor oil + peppermint oil + rosemary oil always does the trick. When my hair is not in a protective style, I also like using a peppermint tea rinse which makes my scalp feel fresh and relaxed!


3.) Dry shampoo: I know that many ladies prefer  not to wet their hair when in a protective style, but I cannot go for more than two weeks without my scalp feeling itchy. The oil scalp massages also require a clean scalp for maximum effectiveness. So I use my ORS Dry Shampoo and alternate with a "full" wash every other week.

4.) "Full" wash: I mix Creme of Nature Sulfate Free Shampoo with lots of water, and spritz the mix onto my scalp and hair. I make sure to rinse it out thoroughly before applying a conditioner that will stay in my hair for less than 5 minutes.

What do you to keep your scalp clean during protective styling?



12 comments

  1. I also love lavender oil to mix it in my carrier oils.Your PS still looks new.

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I am yet to use lavender oil... Thanks Lebo, I got a really good brand of marley hair this time round.

      Delete
  2. We use similar things to combat dry scalp. Nice one. Your crotchet braids still look good. I'm currently wigging it but I'm trying to decide my next protective style. Crotchet braids /box braids. Fingers crossed



    www.hairvolutionbybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bee! I love box braids, but I feel that my ends are more exposed with them.. Looking forward to seeing your new protective style :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The versatitly of your crochet braids is unreal! I'm really loving this look you on. Can you share how you wash your braids with dry shampoo? That's a new one for me!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! I have had a lot of fun with this hair! I will do a separate post on how I wash the braids, I use it to clean my scalp mostly :-)

      Delete
  5. Crochet braids really suits you. The blow out made them prettier too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember when last I used essential oils *face palm* I love th emany styles you have done with your crotchet braids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tomi, I probably would also not remember if it were not for my oil mix which I use three times a week... Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  7. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! Dry Scalp Shampoo

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top