Crochet Braids...Take 2

After I had an unfortunate experience with the crochet braids that I got installed a few weeks ago, I decided to take them out and redo them with the brand of hair that I had used before.

This is how I prepared my hair for the installation:
(1.) Pre-poo'd with coconut oil
(2.) Co-Washed with As I am Coconut Co-Wash
(3.) Deep conditioned with a mixture of ORS Replenishing Conditioner + ApHogee 2-minute Keratin Reconstructor. I added a tablespoon of olive oil for a moisturizing effect.
(4.) I then sat under my hair steamer and steamed my hair for 15 minutes. This way, I got a protein treatment with a moisturizing effect from the steam.
(5.) Rinsed with warm water (my hair does not like cold water rinses), and t-shirt dried overnight. My hair was soft but strong, which is what my hair needed.
(6.) The next morning I applied my leave-ins: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Leave-in Conditioner + ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstructor. 
(7.) I later moisturized and sealed my hair with Shea Moisture Extra Transitioning Moisture Milk & Castor oil
(8.) My stylist applied castor oil to my scalp after she finished plaiting the cornrows.

I haven't had a chance to wear my crochet braids out, but I have tried a few styles with these braids and I am loving the versatility! I have learnt that crochet braids are much more than perm rod curls. You can do just as much as you can with your hair, if the braids are done properly. It's all about the pattern of the cornrows and the way the knots are tied onto the cornrows.

Here are a few pics of styles that I have tried:



I tried a mohawk style with these braids. It wasn't perfect, but good enough for a first attempt :-)

This week, I braided the marley hair into 12 braids, and dipped them in hot water. When unravelling, I only unravelled the braid, and did not separate. I have learnt that separating the braids further creates a lot of frizz and removes a lot of definition from the braid pattern. And voila...

 What do you think of these styles? Yay or Nay?


12 comments

  1. Wow this hair is very versatile. Love the braidout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely, whats the product name you used for the crochets?

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lebo, sorry I forgot to include that important information. It is called Supreme Royal Silk Afro Twist Braid. It is actually marley hair, not sure why they called it "afro twist"

      Delete
    2. I have packs of afro twist yet to use got from London. The name marley hair is more prevalent in North America while Afro twists is more common in the UK/Europe same hair different names:) Your hair came out well love it!

      Delete
    3. Ohhh thank you mrembo! I have been wondering whether the brands with "marley hair" are more superior to the "afro twist" braids... now I know thanks!

      Delete
    4. YAS YAS YAS!!!

      I love all of the styles especially the braid-out. Are you able to re-set the braids or do you have to take out the crochets?

      Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

      KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

      Delete
    5. Thanks KLP! yes, the braids can be re-set anytime. All I have to do is brush it out and then braid it again and dip in hot water :-))

      Delete
  3. Hey Becca!

    I want to start a consistent hair regimen (since last week) this post is very encouraging, thanks for the step by step explanation. The hairstyle looks great on you absolutely!

    Love,
    Neemah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'm going to try the braid out on my crochet braids. I did a perm rod set, which came our great but didn't last too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post pics if you get to try it out :-) and be careful that your hair does not touch the hot water as you dip the braid into the hot water...

      Hmm, mine usually last for a while, what technique did you use for the perm rods?

      Delete

Back to Top