First hair blunder of the year

My hair has been out for the past 8 weeks, and I felt that it needed a well deserved break from my daily manipulation.

I decided to go for crochet braids again, but this time I bought a different brand of hair: Virgo Marley Braid.



I found a stylist on IG, you can check her out "hairbycassandra_kenya", and asked her to come to my house to do the crochet braids.

When she arrived and saw the braids that I bought, she looked a bit worried but continued to do my hair as was planned.

When she finished doing my hair, I was not that happy, but not that sad either. It just did not look like how I wanted it to look. Anyway, I told her that I would try to curl or straighten it and let her know how it goes (YES! Apparently crochet braiding hair can be straigthened!).

This is how it looked after she finished:



Next day I woke up with my crochet hair being twice as big and very rough in texture. I did everything I could to save this hair: combed it, applied a moisturizing butter mix to soften it, tried to make it lie flat on my hair so that it was not too bushy. Nothing worked! It remained stiff (and almost felt like plastic texture when it is burnt). I was now more worried about how my actual hair would react to this hair, given how rough in texture it had become.

I had to unfortunately appear at work like that, and luckily it was a Friday, so everyone was a bit more forgiving. That evening, I tried to put perm rods in the hair, and dipped them in hot water like usual. After letting the hair dry, and taking the perm rods down, most of the hair did not curl at all!


I am so disappointed in this experience, because it cost me a lot of time and money. Anyone who is looking to do marley crochet braids, please DO NOT buy this brand. I have even tried to google this brand of braids and I cannot find it on the net, not even on alibaba.com. So I am assuming that it is an imitation product.


I have since removed the crochet braids and I am hoping to get my usual stylist (who pulled these ones off) to do the crochet braids with a much better quality marley hair.


What would you have done in this situation?

10 comments

  1. Hey Becca, this sounds like a frustrating experience, especially with so much money going down the drain. At least you have a back up stylist who you know will do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lungi it really was especially coz of the money spent. But anyway it's a lesson learnt... Stay away from this brand lol!

      Delete
  2. oh i hate it when stuff like this happens. Marley hair is hit or miss at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you definitely! But I think the type of hair is the deal breaker most of the times...sigh

      Delete
  3. UGHHHH!!! I'm frustrated for you chica! Time and $ down the drain. Fingers crossed that you can find a hair that works better for you the next time. Lesson totally learned!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! Lesson learnt painfully... But luckily I have had bette experiences with other hair brands that are available here

      Delete
  4. Oh no, sorry it didn't work for you. I can't remember when last i did a long term protective style. I hope the next one is exactly what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! I like the versatility of crochet braids. I hope so too :-))

      Delete
  5. The thought of buying something and have the picture perfect image in your mind, and wake up the following day in a different image. I am sorry for you for having to part ways so soon with the crochet braids.

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww it's very frustrating! Thanks Lebo for dropping by...

      Delete

Back to Top