Product Review: Shea Moisture Products

I have been using these products for a while now: the pictures below are evident of that :-) I have been very happy with the benefits I have received from each of these products. There are some that came out much better than others, and there are some that I was not entirely crazy about. 

Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist


Price: 20 USD   
Purchased at: amazon.co.uk
Size: 8 oz
Promises: "SheaMoisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist for thick, curly hair hydrates and tames frizz while providing a soft hold. Creates brilliant shine and curl control."
Ingredients: Deonized Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil)*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Silk Protein, Essential Oil Blend, Melia Azadirachia (Neem) Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioning Salt), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract



Directions: Spray liberally through damp hair from root to ends. Use a wide tooth comb to distribute evenly. Style as desired. Use on dry hair to refresh style.

My review: I saw this product on relaxedthairapy.com, where Jay had given it a very good review. I was most attracted to it, as I was looking for a moisturizing spray that I could use when I had protective styles on. 


What I liked
- The scent reminds me of a similar Dark 'n Lovely product that I used a very long time ago. Anyway,I like the scent. 
I spray it on my ends, occassionally for added strength, since it is balanced (coconut is strengthening). It works well in this regard.

What I did not like
- It is not as moisturizing as the transitioning milk, but it does a decent job. 
- I would not use this product as a daily moisturizer as it is not moisturizing enough for my liking. 

I would buy this product again if I passed by it on a shelf, but I would not go looking for it. I give it a 3/5


Raw Shea Butter Extra Moisture Transitioning Milk


Price:  20 USD 
Purchased at: Sheth Naturals Kenya 
Size: 8 oz
Promises: "SheaMoisture's Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk for dry, damaged hair strengthens, smoothes and restores brilliant shine. Promotes healthy growth while transitioning chemically treated hair to natural healthy hair."
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii(Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Sugar Startch, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat)Germ Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Essential Oil Blend, Algae Extract, Panthenol, Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and equisetum Arvense Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Caprylul Glycol, Topopherol (Vitamin E) *Certified Organic Ingredient



Directions: Apply as a no-rinse, protective styling cream to damp hair. Use as needed.

My review: This is definitely my favourite product amongst the Shea Moisture products that I have used, and one of my favourite products for 2015. I know that the description prescribes it for people who are transitioning to natural, but it works just as well for texlaxed hair. 

What I liked

It has a thick consistency, but very easy to apply to the hair once you rub it in your hands for a few seconds. 
- It is very moisturizing, and does not leave my hair feeling like it is greasy. 
- The combination of oils and water is spot on in this product. It is also great to note that it does not contain any hair softening alocohols/ chemicals such as ceteryl alcohol, behentrimonium sulphate,etc.
- It has a sweet vanilla'ish scent, which was a bit strong for me at first, but I have since gotten used to the scent. 
It worked very well for my ends, keeping them moisturized and smooth.  

What I did not like
- I have used it as a leave-in conditioner and as a moisturizer. I found that it worked much better as a moisturizer. 
- I also used it for my new growth in the last 8-10 weeks of my relaxer stretch, and it worked very well, but it did not help my hair to retain moisture for longer than a day. I still have to moisturize my hair daily with this product.
- I have probably been a bit heavy-handed with this product, but the bottle is almost finished, and I bought it 3 months ago...

Overall this moisturizer was and is a total hit, and I will be using it again and again. 
I give it a...you guessed right, 5/5!


Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Price: 16 USD
Purchased at: amazon.co.uk
Size: 12 oz
Promises: "SheaMoisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie defines curls, reduces frizz and smoothes hair for a soft, silky feel. Restores moisture, creates brilliant shine and conditions hair without weighing it down for bouncy, healthy curls. - Made with natural and certified organic ingredients. - Coconut Oil hydrates and protects hair while reducing breakage. - Silk Protein smoothes hair for a soft, silky feel. - Neem Oil controls frizz while adding brilliant shine."
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut ) Oil*, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Magnifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Melia Azadiratcha (Neem) Seed Oil,Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed oil, Sorbitol Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Caprylyl Glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract

Directions: Section hair and apply product sparingly to damp or dry hair. Do not rinse out. Style hair as desired. For best results, use as a styling cream for twist-outs, braids and wash-and-go styles.


My review: To be honest I have not used this product on a variety of hair styles. I have used it before doing a flexi-rod set, curlformer set and a braidout. 


What I liked
- it moisturized my hair in the process
- it had a lovely scent (like a vanilla cake, I guess Hibiscus is similar to vanilla in scent), but not overpowering
- it defined my curls relatively well, and there were no crunchy curls
- it left my hair very soft and smooth. My hair is well moisturized throughout the week after using this product

What I did not like
- it is a bit difficult to remove it from the tub, it's quite buttery so it's as if it is escaping from your fingers as you try to dip your fingers into the tub to scoop some out
- it does not always give a good hold, so I use it with Eco Styler gel when I need a stronger and longer hold on my curls.
This is now my staple styling product, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a styling product that is both moisturizing and curl defining. I give it a 4/5


Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo


Price:   24 USD
Purchased at: amazon.co.uk
Size: 16 oz
Promises: "A clarifying, Sulfate-free shampoo that removes product build-up, while infusing hair with moisture. Leaves hair soft and shiny. Gentle enough to use every day. Promotes growth by nourishing and strengthening damaged or chemically processed hair, reducing the appearance of breakage and shedding. Apple Cider Vinegar aids in regulating and balancing pH levels on the scalp, while softening hair to promote enhanced growth."
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Vinegar, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Niacin, Dextran, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caramel, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract *Certified Organic Ingredient*

Directions: Apply to wet hair, gently massage from root to ends. Rinse Thoroughly. Repeat if necessary.

My review: I have been using this shampoo for almost a year now. I use it for clarifying purposes only. I know that the description says that it can be used daily, but I would not go that far as to describe how gentle it is! 


What I liked 

- It is indeed very moisturizing, and my scalp always feels clean after using this shampoo. 
- It lathers up even though it is sulfate-free
- My hair feels smooth after using this shampoo

What I do not like

- it has a very watery consistency, hence I find myself applying a lot of it at a time. 
- Some of it runs off my hand while in the shower, it can be a bit messy when it comes to applying it onto my scalp.

This has become a staple product in my stash, my only worry is that it may not be easy to source locally. But I will worry about that when this bottle gets finished. I give it a 4.5/5, I wish it was thicker in consistency...


Have you used any of these products? What was your experience with them?



12 comments

  1. I find that the Shea Moisture products I've tried are a bit too heavy for my hair. :( They all came from the Raw Shea Butter line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! maybe you should try them again once you've gone completely natural. The transitioning milk works well with my hair but I also found that less is more with this product

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. I want to try them some day soon. :)

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Transitioning Milk and Curl Enhancing Smoothie! The last of the products just didn't wow me enough! Fantastic reviews chica!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually first read about those two products on your blog. When you gave them your stamp of approval, I thought they may be worth trying. I was a bit disappointed with the mist, as I am yet to get a reliable moisturizing mist. Thanks KLPQ

      Delete
  4. Awesome reviews Becca, I will be consulting them when I buy these products. I've heard so many good things about them. The cost is too prohibitive for me currently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lungi, maybe try amazon? Not sure if they deliver to SA?

      Delete
  5. I love love this shampoo. Works very well for my hair and does not irritate my scalp. I actually find that it has helped me deal with dandruff. My bottle is over and I need another one...but I am also considering getting another shampoo just to try out something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Mueni! This shampoo is now available at Super Cosmetics for 1,650 KES, if you're ever considering buying it again.

      Delete
    2. It always leaves my scalp clean without my hair feeling like it has been stripped of its moisture

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top