Flexi-rod Tutorial: Elongated Curls

I have always liked curls. Last week, I tried out a new technique with flexi rods. I wanted to try something different, that would not make my hair look so much shorter than it actually is when I do a flexi rod set. The curls came out a bit tighter than I wanted, but this was because I slept with them overnight, and probably sprayed my hair with more water than was necessary. I still got good results though.

See the pictorial below on how I achieved this style:




(1.) You will need a comb, brush (I used my denman brush to smooth my hair where it was needed), 10-12 orange flexi rods (or larger ones if you have), water and a curl enhancer (or mousse).

(2.) Starting with dry (or damp) hair, part your hair with your fingers, into 5-6 sections. If you want to have a part in front, use a rat tail comb to create the part. Preferably do not use a comb to create the other parts otherwise it becomes difficult to hide the partings once you separate the curls.

(3.) Spritz a section at a time with water. The more water you apply, the tighter the curls will be.

(4.) Apply the curl enhancer/ butter/ mousse to the section and smooth your hair. Use a comb or brush to further smooth only if need be.

(5.) Wrap your hair around the rod starting from upwards, going downwards in a spiral manner. Do not wrap the hair on top of each other, but rather in a spiral manner going downwards.

[Hint]: If you want the curls to go away from your face, wrap your hair away from your face. In this case, I wrapped my hair towards my face as seen in the picture above.

(6.) Create a hook by folding the ends of the flexi rod to secure your hair. Use your curl enhancer or gel to secure the ends of your hair if it does not stay put after folding the flexi rod.

(7.) Repeat steps 2-5 for the remaining sections of your hair.

(8.) Remove the rods only when your hair is completely dry. Sleeping overnight with the rods (or spending more time after the hair is dry with the rods still in the hair) will create a tighter curl, as there will be more time for your hair to form the curl pattern around the rod.

Result:




Drop me a note if you get to try this technique and let me know how it went :-)

Have a lovely hair week!

11 comments

  1. How did you keep your ends in place? Gorgeous Flexi - set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! I applied some of the curling smoothie to my ends and where that didn't work I doubled up with Eco Styler gel

      Delete
  2. Its a lovely hair style, I love your vintage-look water spray bottle :)

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Lebogang, I got it at a cosmetic store here

      Delete
  3. Cute cute cute! My flexi-rod technique stinks! I just can't get it right to save my life--hence why I've only used flexi-rods once in the last year. LOL.

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! Last year this time, I don't think I even knew what a flexi rod was LOL! If I can do it, anyone can definitely do it :-)

      Delete
  4. Your curls looks great. I never quite got the hang of flexi-rods. Maybe I will try your method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uzo! Youtube videos may also help :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Uzo! Youtube videos may also help :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm loving your curls, Becca K!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top