Do your research before you go shopping...

I went to get a few products from the cosmetic store a few days ago. First, I must say that once again, Super Cosmetics has extended their range. Shea Moisture products are now available at any Super Cosmetic Store in town!



They do not have all the different product ranges within the Shea Moisture line, but they have a good handful to choose from.

As I was picking up my products from the isle, I found a lady who was asking the shop assistant to recommend the best Shea Moisture Shampoos. The assistant recommended the JBCO Clarifying Shampoo, which is definitely not a shampoo to be used everyday... Check my review on it here -> Shea Moisture Products Review




The lady then asked for a conditioner that would go well with the shampoo, and the assistant handed her the strengthen, grow & restore masque. The assistant's recommendations were completely random, she did not even ask the lady what her needs were, and what type of hair she has.

I was very tempted to say something to this lady, because she was clearly going to buy products that were possibly not suitable for her hair or the purpose for which she intended to use them. But I didn't...

The morale of this story is that many store assistants (and even owners) may not have enough time to talk to you and find out exactly what your needs are. They could end up giving you the wrong products, or even giving you products just so that you can spend as much as you possibly can. At the end of the day, if:

- you want to get as much out of your products, and
- you want to keep a simple regimen,

(1.) Research: It is best that you do your research at home before you head over to a cosmetic shop
(2.) List: Prepare a list of the products (or type of products) that you are planning to buy and carry the list to the shop. Stick to the list!
(3.) Read the ingredients before you purchase, ensuring that the ingredients match the need that you are trying to meet. E.g. if you need a moisturizing conditioner, you will look for fatty alcohols or natural ingredients such as natural oils, cetearyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, with water being the first ingredient.


Happy product shopping :-)

4 comments

  1. I am soooo jealous! I would loooove to have Shea Moisture products in our stores. I agree with you, shop assistants are not the best people. I usually look at a number of reviews before I buy a product or ask people that I know have had experiences with it. Prior Research is important especially if you're going to be spending a lot of money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, I would not ever buy one shea moisture product without reading and watching as many reviews as possible...
      Hopefully these products will be coming your way soon :-) there's a big movement towards natural hair products here..

      Delete
  2. I am so envious that you have these in your stores!!! hopefully they will be headed this way soon I really want to try them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Lebo :-) although they are still on the pricey side compared to the amount paid in US

      Delete

Back to Top