World's longest wash day!


Ok maybe not the longest wash day that has ever been, but I staggered it over 2 days because I was just too tired to put in the flexi rods I wanted to do. Yep changed my mind on installing braids after it took me a gruelsome 5 hours to undo the braids I had done with my own hair!

There were a few things I had not done to my hair since relaxer day, which was 7 weeks ago, these were:

- protein treatment
- clarifying (can't believe that I once used to unknowingly use a clarifying shampoo every time I washed my hair..#hidesfaceinhands)

0) Undid the braids I plaited as I was in a wig. These braids were on for two weeks only, but the matting and shedding that occurred made me take 5 hours undoing these braids...
Time taken: 5 hours



1) Scalp massaged with JBCO

2) Pre-poo'd with Tressemme Ultra Rich Moisturising conditioner, it has a lot of slip, so my hair welcomed it with open arms...layered some grapeseed oil on top of it.
Time taken: 1 hour

3) I twisted my hair into about 10 twists, so decided to apply the clarifying shampoo to my scalp using my spray bottle. This really helped because none of the creamy Aloe shampoo got directly on to my strands. I lathered twice then lathered once with CON Moisturising shampoo - brought back the moisture to my hair.
Time taken: 15 minutes

4a) For the first time in the history of my hair, I used a hard protein treatment: ApHogee 2 step protein treatment. Kept it in my hair for about 25 minutes after which I decided to blow dry it coz it wasn't hardening up. Gosh that stuff is so sticky, it dripped onto some of my skin which tightened up immediately.. This is some serious protein treatment, I followed the instructions to the letter!
Time taken: 25 minutes

4b) Rinsed the protein treatment off with warm water and then Applied Aphogee balancing moisturizer for 2 minutes. Rinsed again and then used my Aussie miracle moist conditioner and left it in my hair for about 5 minutes and rinsed it off. I used two conditioners in this step because I did not feel like my hair was soft enough after using the first conditioner
Time taken: 10 minutes

5) Towel dried my hair and then applied my DCs: A mix of Doo Gro mega long extreme recontructor, Olive Oil Hair cream and about a spoon of Olive Oil. DC'd for about 2 hours using the plastic bag method, as I cooked dinner. *can't wait to get a hooded dryer!!*
Time taken:2 hours

6) Rinsed out the DC, t-shirt dried for 30 minutes and then applied my leave-in conditioners: Cantu Shea butter leave-in and Elasta QP H2 Leave-in. I still had some detangling to do, oh my, I only had these braids in for 2 weeks, but the detangling work I had to do felt like they were in for 2 months!

On a side note, for some reason the Cantu leave-in scent was so strong for me this wash day, I actually felt sick after applying it (nauseous). I don't think I will be using it again. Any suggestions on a creamy leave-in conditioner which does not have a strong scent?
Time taken: 1 hour 30 minutes

7) Wrapped a satin scarf and slept. The next day I decided to build some arm muscle with do a flexi rod set - used 28 rods in total. Thankfully it did not take forever and a day like it usually does. 
Time taken: 1 hour 30 minutes

Total time taken: 11 hours 50 minutes! 

The results..
Overall my hair was dryer than it was before I did the treatment, but definitely stronger than it was. So the following few weeks will be moisture intense until I get the balance back. 

How was your wash day ladies?

The Wash Day Experience

8 comments

  1. Yikes! that was an extra long wash day, but your hair will thank you for taking the time to detangle properly.

    Your flexi rod set looks gorgeous :)

    I don't really know about the leave-in conditioners, I use the Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming leave-in, and that one also has a pretty strong fruity smell, but I don't mind it at all.

    Lungi@HHDC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lungi :) I'll look out for this leave in and smell it before I buy :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know if you can find the Elasta QP Mango Butter moisturizer there (you're in Nairobi I believe?). But I love the mango-citrusy smell of it though, its not too overpowering, and I am really sensitive about smells.

    Your flexi rod set looks gorge. What size flexi rods did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvette thank you :) I actually use elasta qp as a moisturizer and I'm in love with it, I've not tried it as a leave-in but I'll try using it next time and see how my hair responds to it when it's not completely dry.
      I don't know what size the flexi rods are but I used 26 purple ones and 2 orange ones - hopefully the colour codes are the same size everywhere :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol at longest wash day! I have had a three day wash day its somewhere on my blog things just happened and a few hours turned into three days lol! Your flexi rod set came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hehe, glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Thanks Lydz!

      Delete

Back to Top