New Protective Style: My box braids #1

I decided to put in a new protective style: box braids. I am glad that my hair will have a break from combing and manipulation, it deserves a break from me :)

This is the first time that I put box braids into my hair, by myself! DIY'd it all the way. Halfway through it, I felt like going to the salon to get it finished but I remembered that one of the reasons I started this hair journey was because most of the time I left the salon disappointed and sad about how my hair was treated.

It took me about 20 hours in total, but I spread this time over 4 days! I think the next time I do box braids I will make them shorter, and I will do all the prep work a day before I start braiding.

The prep work included:

1) Twisting my hair into the sections in which I put the braids. I saw this method on youtube, and I think its really great, because my hair is protected, and I did not have many fly aways (you know that hair that the salon cuts when they neaten your braids, yes, that is actually your hair!): 3-4 hours

2) Tapering the ends of the braided hair: 1.5 hours

I used 2 packets of Ultra Light X-pression braids by Darling in color #2. Each packet costed me 300 KES/ 3 USD, and each packet comes with two pieces of really long extension (like tail bone length).

So I cut each extension piece into two, but for the back I cut the piece into three, I really did not want any braid to be beyond waist length.

Results:




I am so proud of myself and how these braids are looking, given that it is the first time that I did them. I had to keep reminding myself that I am only putting them in for practical reasons, and not so much beauty and neatness reasons. So yes they are not perfect, but I think they will be ok for me to have for the next 4 weeks.

The braid extensions are so lightweight, they do not pull down, which is good for the roots of my hair.

So here is my revised regimen for the next 4-6 weeks:

Daily: Moisturize once a day, alternating between Elasta QP and my homemade mix. My mix is made up of Tressemme Ultra Moisturizing conditioner, water and some glycerin and olive oil.

Seal with Olive Oil or Dr Miracles Intensive Spot Serum.

I recently bought pure Shea butter which I may use to seal my moisturizer, together with the oils. It is so dry here in Nairobi, so I want to keep my hair moisturized as much as I possibly can.

Three times a week: Scalp massage with castor oil

When I am feeling itchy: Scalp massage with Dr Miracles Intensive Spot Serum

Every 7-10 days: Shampoo my hair using a spray bottle to apply the shampoo to the scalp. I will be alternating between Mega Growth Stimulating Shampoo and ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo. To the length of my hair I will use Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo (not in pic, oops!).

Deep condition as usual, mostly with moisturizing DCs

Apply leave-ins: ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer and Creme of Nature Leave-in Conditioner

What do you use for your long-term protective style regimen?







No comments

Back to Top