Wash day with aPhogee 2-step & Avo Masque

Because of exam preps, I have only been washing my hair every 10 days, but thanks to great moisturizers + moisturizing Deep Conditioners i.e. Hairveda Sitrinillah, Keracare Humecto, Kenra, Silk Dreams I have not experienced any (eye-raising) breakage. My wash days have been pretty much the same since I relaxed my hair, except for the latest one where I tried something new:

0.) Pre-poo'd with Coconut Oil and Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in (yayy I have found a use for this product, the scent was too overbearing for me to use as a leave-in).
1.) Shampoo'd with my new sulfate-free clarifying shampoo, JBCO Shea Moisture Shampoo. I like it more than ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo (which is what I have been using as a clarifying shampoo), so I will be using this shampoo to clarify once a month.
2.) Towel dried for 5 minutes and quickly applied aPhogee 2-step protein on my hair and combed it out to make sure there were no tangles before the treatment dried out. After this I left my hair, no touching, no nothing for 15 minutes under my hooded dryer until it completely dried out.
3.) Stood under my shower for a few minutes as the treatment washed out, and applied aPhogee Balancing Moisturizer and Aussie Moist Conditioner to restore some moisture to my hair.
4.) Rinsed out the conditioners after 5 minutes and towel dried for 5 minutes.
5.) Deep Conditioned in dry heat for 15 minutes and without heat for 45 minutes with my homemade Avo Masque, see more info in this post.



6.) Rinsed the masque with warm water. Unfortunately this deep conditioning session went horribly bad. My hair was kind of locked and very hard after rinsing it out and I was not going to let Avocado give me a setback, so I accepted the situation and did everything I could to fix it, starting with another deep conditioning session.
7.) Overnight deep conditioned with a concoction of all the super moisturizing DC's I could find in my house: Hairveda Sitrinillah, Keracare Humecto, Kenra Moisturizing DC + 1 tbsp Castor Oil.




8.) Rinsed the DC thoroughly and t-shirt dried for 15 minutes before applying my leave-ins: L-Kinky Curly Knot Today (Great detangler!!) & O-OGX Anti-Breakage Serum.
9.) Carefully detangled my hair in 4 sections, and I was soo relieved that did not lose to much hair after that experience with the Avo.



9.) I have been blow drying my hair with the cool air setting (my blow dryer is so old that only the cool air setting works anyway lol). I have found that my hair looks better with less frizz when I blow dry, as compared to when I leave it to air dry.
10.) Plaited my hair into four plaits and flung on my wig, scalp massaged the next day with castor oil.

Other hairstyles that I have been trying in between my wash days:


Hope you had a great wash day!


Ready, Steady, Grow It!


The Wash Day Experience

6 comments

  1. Hey Becca! Your plan of action to prevent protein overload worked like a charm! You definitely know your hair. And I love your protective styles! Have fun with your hair!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! For the first time as long as I can remember, I look forward to trying new hairstyles that also protect my ends :-))

      Delete
  2. Your hair looks great in those big braids, love it.
    Avocado acts like a protein treatment for me too, I noticed it hardens my hair so I use it when I need to add strength. I think your hair might have gone through some protein overload but your game plan was awesome. Atta girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra :-) I totally agree with you on the Avo, coz my hair was hard as well, whew at least now I know that it is soo not a moisturizing DC for my hair as well!

      Delete
  3. I am loving your hairstyles! That curly do is giving me life :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top