Why a mid-week co-wash is a good idea

Hello there

I have been struggling with protein overload since my fallout with avocado masque, so I have been upping my DC sessions with moisturizing conditioners & mid-week co-washes to bring things back to normal!

My new growth feels like it's been ages since I relaxed and its only been 8 weeks lol, so I have been co-washing during the week, with the hope that "oohh child things are gonna get easier, oohh child things'll get brighter" *singing*. So far, co-washing has definitely helped me to retain more moisture, although I was sceptical of co-washing at first, and now I have a few reasons to support anyone who is thinking of adding a wash day during their week:

1 You don't have to break any hair rules to do a co-wash. I went through my entire co-wash without using a comb, I have realized that my hands do quite a good job in detangling and styling my hair.

2. You will not necessarily lose a lot of hair from manipulation, if you are gentle with your hair, a mid-week co-wash is only going to do good for it.



3. An extra boost of moisture from a mid-week co-wash goes a long way when one is on a long stretch.

4. Using a conditioner to wash your hair can leave it clean without the 'harsh' and drying effects of a shampoo - this is true from my experience, although I think that its important to use a conditioner that is specifically made for washing the hair, so that your scalp is also cleansed. I used nothing but cleansing co-wash, it was the only co-wash I could find where I live.



5. You can continue styling like you would on a normal week without a mid-week wash. If you are worried about the frizziness that comes with washing your hair, you can do a saran wrap around your hair once its dry for a few minutes to help it straighten out. My hair was back to normal on the second day after my co-wash.



6. The feeling of a clean scalp is one to love! Especially if you do a lot of oil massages, a mid-week co-wash can help remove the icky feeling from the oils and products that have accumulated in your hair.

7. For the keen at heart, its a good excuse to re-do a flexi rod or curly do, and have banging curls for a whole week!



Do you do any mid-week co-washes?


Ready, Steady, Grow It!

The Wash Day Experience

8 comments

  1. ugh!! the dreaded protein overload! I hope *things will get a littler easie-eer* soon and the balance regains itself.
    I love cowashing mid week but never have the time, funnily enough my wash day this week had to change to a cowash after the rain spoiled my plans lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for joining in the song with me! Sorry about the rain that sucks after doing all the hundred and one steps of a wash day and the rain taking it all away, but at least you got to do a co-wash :-)

      Delete
  2. You curly styles are everything Becca <3

    That co-wash product looks great, please can you do a review on it.

    All the best with reversing the protein overload, it seems like you're on the right track

    Lungi @ HHDC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanku Lungi ;-)) just trying curls out, I'm in love with curls of late! Will definitely do a review on it, once I have used it a few more times!

      Delete
  3. Aww...protein overload ain't no joke! But I'm proud of you for knowing exactly what to do to get your hair back in order! Get it girl!

    Looks like great minds think alike chica! I went for a tuck and roll this week too!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yess great minds :-)) I'm gonna try your roller set tuck n roll next time! Thanks KLP for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I love the twist and tuck hairstyle.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top