Wash day: 13 weeks post relaxer

My wash days have become pretty much routine, nothing interesting has happened of late, but this past wash day I prepared my hair for a box braid install, which I am hoping will happen this coming weekend. It's that time when I am getting tired of my hair and I think my hair feels the same way, so it has earned a well deserved break from me... I hope to keep the braids for 4 weeks after which I'll be 18 weeks post and then I can do my second texlax of the year at the 19 week mark!


1.) Mixed aPhogee Keratin 2-minute reconstructor & coconut oil, applied to six sections of my hair and covered with a shower cap for 20 minutes
2.) Clarified with JBCO sulfate-free clarifying shampoo 
3.) Applied Tressemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner for 5 minutes to get my hair soft again
4.) Coffee rinsed with black coffee + black tea (my coffee wasn't enough) for 5 minutes and rinsed it out.
5.) Towel dried for 10 minutes and applied my deep conditioner: A mix of Mane n Tail deep Moisturizing Conditioner, Keracare Humecto conditioner, Olive Oil Hair Cream and a spoon of grapeseed oil. I have discovered that covering my hair with Saran Wrap after applying the deep conditioner gives me better results, so I did just that. Sat in my dryer for 45 minutes. 
6.) Rinsed with warm water (for some reason cold water makes my hair hard so my last rinse is always with warm water). My hair was nice and soft after this so thumbs up to another good mix of conditioners. 
7.) T-shirt dried for 20 minutes and then applied my leave-ins to six separate sections of my hair: Kinky curly Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner, Herbal Essences Split End Protector (to my ends only) & OGX Anti-breakage Serum.
8.) Then I realised that I didn't detangle in the first step!!!! Terrible mistake because now I had knots in my hair, as my hair was plaited in 6 braids for the week (I had my wig on for the whole week). So I had to gently & painfully detangle my hair for about 1 hour before I could stretch it out. Anyway, I need to be better at remembering such things as detangling before I wash my hair...
9.) Blow dried on cool heat and wrapped it with saran wrap again, I wanted to get some smoothness and I did. 
10.) Tried some protective styles for a change, or shall I call them low manipulation styles coz they don't last longer than 2 days for me. Need to work on that..



This week I am not in a wig, because I wanted to enjoy my hair before I put it in box braids.

How are you managing your relaxer stretches ladies?


Ready, Steady, Grow It!

The Wash Day Experience

8 comments

  1. Hi Becca, we are on almost identical time points! I am also 13 weeks this Sunday and getting twists tomorrow for the next 4 weeks as well. I will need to do a hard protein treatment so I will texlax at 20 weeks (my first stretch for this length). I did my (unlanned) wash day last night and had the same knots (shedding and breaking as well) so fingers crossed, it will not be so bad relaxer time.

    Good luck and will check up later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! It seems like you have a solid regimen going! All the best and I agree with a protein treatment before putting in your twists...

      Delete
  2. My stretch has been going well. I'm actually starting to miss my 4 month stretches and I'm thinking about going for 4 months instead of 3 this time around. Good luck with the rest of your stretch, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'm aiming to relax 3 times this year because my ends suffer a lot when I wash the relaxer off, even with a triple layer of oils and conditioner protecting them. I hope your stretch goes well too, stretching for longer has its pros and cons I guess :-)

      Delete
  3. Very creative protective style, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really like that second style! You gotta give us the details on how you created it! Can't wait to see your box braids chica!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx KLP! I'll try to share with a pictorial

      Delete

Back to Top