The best of the last 7 months Part 3: Hair Vitamin Update

Hi dear readers

This is not a product review but just an update on how my vitamin intake has been going since I started my healthy hair journey. I started off using Groganics, and I really liked the results that I saw. My new growth became much thicker, and although I was shedding a lot initially, the shedding reduced towards the third month of taking the Groganics vitamins. I also noticed that my hair grew at about an inch per month, which is more than the average growth rate of 1/2 inch per month....

...But then all the stores ran out of stock since March 2015. So I ordered Manetabolism from Sizzelle.com, and I was really excited to get my hands on them that I ordered 4 bottles!
The Manetabolism instructions read that 2 pills should be taken per day and I did just that. But silly me I completely forgot to check the biotin content before buying them, as my skin is quite sensitive. I actually assumed that the biotin in these pills was not excessive given the amount of raving and praising that I saw on Instagram, Facebook, etc about this product. To my surprise, when I received the bottles and read the ingredients I immediately realized that it has 5000mcg of biotin per serving; this is 2.5 times the amount of biotin in Groganics vitamins! One week after taking my Manetabolism pills (2 per day), this is how my face looked:



My face was ok before I started with the Manetabolism pills, I had not seen such pimples on my face before, so I am almost 100% sure that the excessive biotin content caused this reaction. I was drinking lots and lots of water but it didn't help. So I took a 3 week break from it, and then started taking it again last week. This time I am only taking one pill a day, and my skin has been ok for now...

All I am getting to in this post is that hair vitamins will not always work for you in the same way that they work for someone else. If your skin is sensitive, it will probably react negatively to hair vitamins with high biotin content. Groganics vitamins also have Biotin but half the amount of bioftin that ManeChoice  has...

It's best to try it and discontinue immediately if you see that ur skin is getting worse. Also, it's best to try out one bottle and then buy another bottle if you are satisfied with the results from the first bottle. I have 3.5 bottles of Mane a Choice, and I know it's probably going to take me 6+ months to finish this supply, which is abit saddening for me because I can't buy my Groganics until I've finished Mane Choice.

Have you had any bad or good experiences with hair vitamins? 
Have you tried these vitamins, and how did they go with your hair and skin?

Ready, Steady, Grow It!

8 comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your experience with the Mane choice vitamins. I think your decision to take only one tablet a day is best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doc, yes by taking one pill a day I've reduced the biotin content to what my body can handle. I've seen growth in my nails so I'm still looking forward to hair growth even with half the recommended intake

      Delete
  2. It's rather unfortunate that you had that reaction to mane choice. Ask sizzle if you can return it and pick up a different product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tx Abena for the encouragement but it will be more expensive for me to return the pills due to postage costs, if the worst comes to worst I'll just sell them over here.

      Delete
  3. Such a bummer re the Mane Choice vitamins. I would looove to try the Groganics ones, but they don't sell them in SA. They only sell their conditioners, shampoos and other growth aids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that sucks Lungi, I guess there are strict pharmaceutical regulations that groganics will have to comply with before they are allowed to sell the pills, can't think of why they wouldn't stock them coz even here they have been imported. Anything goes in Kenya lol and those pills are so popular, when the import container comes today, the stock gets finished within a month.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about the reaction. I am also sensitive to excessive biotin but I find 1000 mcg and below is okay. My skin is a major reason why I'm hesitant to try Mane Choice or Hairfinity. I had a pretty good experience with Perfectil. I had mild breakouts the first month then it was okay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uzo it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who reacts to high biotin content. Im yet to see Perfectil in stores here but I'll look out for it in 8 months when I finish my mane choice.

      Delete

Back to Top