New Protective Style Prep: Wash Day

After 5 weeks of experimenting with my hair, I finally decided to take the plunge and put in a long-term protective style: Marley Twists.

I first saw Marley twists on a youtube video that I was watching and learning how to do twists. At that time I used the usual expression braids and they were sooo difficult to install because the twists kept unravelling... With Marley twists, everything was so much easier, so much neater, and I totally love the feel of the braid because it has more texture and looks more like my hair than the silky expressions braids.

Anyway here is what I did to prepare my hair for this style:

0.) Hot oil treatment with coconut oil. I did a scalp massage and then applied apHogee 2-minute Keratin reconstructor and covered my hair with a shower cap for 20 minutes. I wanted to add some protein to my strands ahead of the marley twists install.

1.) Shampoo'd with Crème of Nature Sulphate free Moisture & Shine Shampoo

2.) Towel dried for 10-15 minutes and then applied Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Treatment. Sat under my heating cap for 30 minutes.

3.) Rinsed my hair in warm water.

4.) T-shirt dried overnight!! Yess, after rinsing my hair at midnight I did not have the energy to wait for it to dry and then do the last step. My hair was still soft and abit moist the next morning so t-shirt drying overnight is going to be happening a lot in the future.

5.) Applied my leave-ins after sectioning my hair into 4. ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer + Mane 'n Tail Detangler. Detangled and then applied the final ones: Kurlee Belle Thirsty Kurls Leave-in + Herbal Essences Split End Protector (to my ends only)

6.) The next day I sectioned my hair into 4 and applied castor oil mix to my scalp before I started twisting my hair.

7.) As I twisted each braid I applied a small amount of Nothing but melted shea butter. I really haven't used this product properly and using it this time made my realize how softening it is on the hair. It also enabled me to remove more shedded hairs before installing each twist.


8.) In the front I also applied some Eco Styler Gel to lay down my edges as I twisted. It gave it an overall neater look.

And this is how they came out in the end:

 
Hope you had a great wash day experience!
Share your wash day experience on savingourstrands.com or justgrowalready.com
 
The Wash Day Experience

11 comments

  1. You don't know how lucky you are to be able to do your own hair! The twists look good.

    Where did you get the Nothingbut melted shea butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lungi! This is only the second time ever that I am self braiding my hair, youtube videos do wonders to ones learning curve lol :-) I got this product at a cosmetic store here in Kenya. Has this range of products come to SA yet?

      Delete
    2. No, I haven't seen in this side yet

      Delete
  2. Wow! And this was our first try at Marley Twists?!? Girl! You knocked it out of the park! How long did it take you to install them?!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! I wish I could say that it took me 2 hours like some of the braiding ninjas I watched on youtube. Sadly it took me a total of 12 hours :-(

      Delete
    2. LOL! Don't stress girl! It would have taken me 3x as long!

      Delete
  3. You did a fantastic job.... I wish i had it in me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learnt from watching youtube videos :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice job, Becca. It's so great that you can do your own hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Uzo! If I managed to do this, I think anyone can, with Marley braids and a few YouTube tutorials lol.

      Delete

Back to Top