Olaplex Treatment: Review


So eeeveryone has been raving about this product of late. When I first came across it, I thought it was a new product, only to find that it has been in the market for a while. I think the hype is because more and more women of colour have realised that it can work for their hair too.

What is Olaplex?

It is a treatment that works to build the bonds that have been broken from chemical processes such as relaxers, bleaches, etc you name it. It also builds bonds that have been broken from thermal and mechanical processes such as flat ironing, blow drying, combing etc. Basically anything you do to your hair that increases the chances of breakage.

From Olaplex.com: Olaplex is a patented active ingredient that works on a molecular level to seek out broken bonds in the hair that are caused by chemical, thermal, and mechanical damage. You can use Olaplex to restore compromised hair, or add it to another service to provide the ultimate breakage insurance.

This is how a strand of your hair looks like under a microscope. The more split ends and breakage you have, the less smooth your strand looks.

Why I went on the Olaplex bandwagon?

Honestly, my hair was in ICU 2 months ago. I had been experiencing a lot of breakage caused by stress and a vegeterian diet that I went on without gradually allowing my body to adjust to the new diet.

I was in desparate need of getting a product that would control the breakage. I tried protein treatments, mixed protein and moisture, heavy protein treatments etc but none of them worked. My ends were always damaged. I trimmed a total of 6-8 inches over the last 6 months which was not necessary if I did not have the breakage that I was experiencing.

So when I heard about Olaplex from some of my favourite healthy hair bloggers, I thought it was worth trying...

How it works?

The initial Olaplex set consisted of  a 3-step treatment, of which the first 2 are meant for salon use only. After washing hair Step 1 is applied and is meant to stay on your hair for some 10 minutes. Step 2 is applied on top of Step 1 and I waited longer on Step 2 as the hairdresser (check my Instagram post for more detail on this salon visit) recommended so due to my excessive breakage.

Note: The entire range is not a protein conditioner, you would still need to continue with your usual wash day steps and incorporate this in between. I applied it after shampooing my hair and before my deep conditioner step.

Step 3 is an at home treatment, which I have been using the same way I use a moisturizing treatment, with a heat cap to just get an extra level of punch out of it. 

I applied very little of the Step 3 product to my hair (a little goes a long way and it has some slip to help with that), and 1 bottle will probably last me 3-4 applications.



Where to find it?

This one is a bit tricky because according to the Olaplex customer service agent that I chatted with on the website, they can only confirm the authenticity of products that are distributed through their approved salon network. Personally, I took the option of finding an approved salon and performing the treatment there.

I got the No 3 treatment, which is an at home treatment, from an approved distributor as well that is based in SA (ohmybeauty.co.za).

You can find the products on Amazon, but you would need to be really careful about the authenticity of the products that you are buying - maybe get them from a company where Amazon despatches the items or read the reviews before selecting the seller.

Price
No 1 and 2 treatment: Check Amazon for price details. 
No 3 at home treatment: USD 35 

The Verdict

It definitely did what it promises. to do Since my first application, my breakage has reduced significantly so I am very happy about that. My hair also feels very smooth after washing the No 3 treatment out. However, to be honest, the smooth feeling does not last long. The hairdresser had informed me that the product wears off after some time - I guess like any other product. 

It is expensive, so I do not intend using it every week as per recommendations. I will probably use it every other week and on my relaxer day. 

I am definitely incorporating this product into my regimen!

Have you used Olaplex? Did you like it, love it or naah?






No comments

Back to Top