The Wash Day Series: 7 Essentials to Starting a Healthy Hair Journey



Wash days are what I would say are the backbone to a healthy hair care regimen.

Without wash days, you would not be able to keep your hair and scalp clean, hydrated and strengthened.

Before I share my detailed steps for wash days, I think it is important to share the essentials of a healthy hair care journey so that

A) You do not go on an unnecessary shopping spree
B) You appreciate that products can only take you so far. Your consistency and technique is far more important.

You really do not need to complicate your healthy hair journey. All you need are a few essentials to get started, and you can slowly build up on the rest.

You can have the best products in the market, and have unhealthy hair. But it is unlikely that you will have unhealthy hair when applying consistent good healthy hair practices, unless the products you are using are awful (e.g. have chemicals like parabens, a lot of sulfates, etc).

So here are my 7 Essentials list, let me know what yours are if you have already started your healthy hair journey:

1.) Wide tooth comb
2.) Shea Oil OR Avocado Oil
3.) A sulfate free shampoo
4.) Satin scarf
5.) A protein conditioner
6.) A moisturizing conditioner
7.) A spray bottle with water


  • I would mix the oil, conditioner and water to make a moisturizer
  • I use a satin scarf DAILY without fail. This is a very important part of my routine, as it keeps my hair moisturized when I am asleep (which is a good 6-8 hours a day)
  • A wide tooth comb is necessary for detangling especially when deep into a relaxer stretch and you have lot of new growth that easily gets detangled.
  • A shampoo is needed to keep your scalp clean on wash days
  • Both Moisturizing and Protein conditioner are a a yes-yes to keep your hair balanced between moisturer and strength, depending on how your hair feels each wash day. If it feels dry, you probably need some moisture. If it feels too mushy and very elastic, you probably need some protein.


What are you 5 essentials?


No comments

Back to Top