Product review: Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in conditioning cream for NATURAL HAIR


So I have used this product twice already. I heard and read good things about it from fellow hair bloggers, but what I did not realise is that they were basing their reviews on a similar product that is not just for people with natural hair. Even the colours of the package have changed from white to orange. I could only find the new formula product.

Price: 850 KES/ 10 USD at Super Cosmetics 

Purchased at: Nairobi City Centre

Size: 340g

Promises:
"Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream is an intensive, deep-penetrating leave-in cream conditioning treatment that is made with 100% pure shea butter and other natural oils. When used daily, it helps promote strong, long, healthy hair. Formulated without chemicals or harsh ingredients. Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair restores your real, authentic beauty. Embrace your curly, kinky, or wavy hair with Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair.
-> Stops and mends hair breakage
-> Leaves hair soft, shiny and manageable
-> No mineral oil, sulfates, parabens, silicone, phthalates, gluten, paraffin, propylene glycol, PABA or DEA"


Ingredients:
Water , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean) , Propylene Glycol , Polyquaternium-37 , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , Cetyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Stearalkonium Chloride , Trimethylsilylamodimethicone , Panthenol , PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether , Lanolin Oil , Cinnamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride , Acrylamide Copolymer , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein , Benzophenone-3 , BHA , BHT , Zea Mays Oil (Corn) , Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate , DMDM Hydantoin , Phenoxyethanol , Fragrance

Directions:

Daily styling: Apply to towel dried hair. Work a generous amount of product into hair beginning at the roots to the tips. Comb through for even distribution. Do not rinse. Apply more to longer hair at the ends or problem areas. Leave in treatment: Apply as directed for 'daily styling' just after shampooing. Re-apply and cover with a plastic cap overnight for maximum absorption and intensive conditioning. Frizz free hair: Apply daily to split ends or damaged areas. Comb through and let dry naturally.

My review:

My hair did not like this product. I applied the product to my hair along with my serum and Mizani D'tangle leave-in milk after towel-drying my hair for 30 minutes or so. My hair was still abit damp.

I experienced more breakage than I usually do the day after washing my hair. It may be because I had done a protein treatment, and then used this product which also has some proteins (hence protein overload). So I will have to use it again after doing a heavy moisturising DC to know for sure that it does not do any good to my hair. I thought it would be really good given that it's main product should be is shea butter, and does not have all the baddies i.e. mineral oils, parabens. But I think my hair (knowing how much moisture it longs for) just did not relate well with this product, it is not moisturizing enough and left my ends very dry even after covering my hair for the whole day to dry without exposing it to the harsh sun and heat.

All in all, I would give this product a 3/5. I am going to buy the product (which is a white coloured tub on the outside, and see if that one is any better).

Rating scale:

1/5 - Never again!
2/5 - Below par, not for my hair
3/5 - mehh, might try it again to be sure its really not good
4/5 - like it, good buy
5/5 - when am i going to buy the next one!! need to stock up for dayzzz

No comments

Back to Top