Relaxer Prep Wash Day - 18 weeks post relaxer!

This month has flown so quickly that only when I picked my calendar few days ago, I realised it had been 18 weeks since I last relaxed my hair!! I have never gone beyond 16 weeks in my life so this was in a way an achievement. I will do a separate post to share the techniques I used to reduce breakage and all the not nice things that could happen on a long stretch.

I really wanted to get to 20 weeks post, but I am going on holiday next week and I definitely do not want to be dealing with new growth on holiday so it will have to be a 19 week stretch....

I must confess that due to my busy schedule I have washed my hair only twice this month #smh. This is my last wash day before I relax my hair:

0.) Generously applied coconut oil to 4 sections of my hair and detangled each section separately. This step took about 30 minutes because of all the growth and shed hair from 2 weeks of not combing.
1.) Scalp massaged with castor oil mix: Castor oil, peppermint oil & rosemary oil.
2.) Did a dry protein treatment to strengthen my hair ahead of relaxing it: Mix of aPhogee 2-minute Keratin Reconstructor & ORS Hair Mayonnaise, and sat under my steamer for 20 minutes.
3.) Let my hair cool before washing it with Creme of Nature Sulphate-free Moisturising Shampoo. Lathered twice.
4.) Applied a mix of some of my new deep conditioners: Mane 'n Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner + Neutrogena Triple Silk Moisture + Aussie 3 minute miracle moist. My new growth absorbs ALOT of product, so I have had to use my deep conditioners generously in order to get my growth to become soft and manageable after a wash. This is why I find that mixing helps coz I do not want to finish one product within 2 wash days...



*on a side note, I like how clear my pics are coming out with my new phone*

5.) I was too tired to sit under a dryer again, so I deep conditioned overnight.
6.) Rinsed out the conditioner mix the next morning and t-shirt dried for 30 minutes.
7.) Sectioned my hair into 4, and applied Kinky Curly Knot Today to my new growth and length of my hair before detangling. I first detangle each section with my hands, and then with a wide-tooth comb - this step took about 20-30 minutes.
8.) Sprayed ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer + Herbal Essences Split End Protector to my ends, and then sealed with my favourite wash-day oil = OGX Anti-Breakage Serum.
9.) Dried my hair with my blowdryer on cool air before doing my protective style for the week, a simple halo twist.




Hope you had a great wash day, join in the linkup by posting your #washdayexperience on savingourstrands.com or justgrowalready.com!


The Wash Day Experience

12 comments

  1. Aww...I love your halo twist! It's crazy cute! Good luck with your relaxer next week chica! I know that you'll have tons of length retention!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks KLP! Sticking my thumbs up for length retention although I trimmed about 2 inches during this stretch...

      Delete
  2. I gave you props on Facebook. I love these halo braids. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! That was actually someone else, on the Kibibi group right? I really liked the way she did her halo braid as well :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the halo twist Becca. All the best for your relaxer

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so great that you made it to 18 weeks so easily! I'm currently 15 weeks post, so I will be looking out for your tips for getting there with limited breakage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'll be doing a post very soon although you are not far behind at all. I hope you make it to your goal of 24 weeks!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see your results. Halo twists are so neat and tension free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the halo twists! 19 weeks post is good enough..I never knew neutrogena did hair stuff as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lydz! Yes they do I bought this one in Nakumatt Junction, it's abit pricey but I've been able to get 4 uses out of one jar.

      Delete

Back to Top